Frizzy of hair and breathy of vocal, Rae Morris is being tipped as one of pop music's NEXT BIG THINGS. So, before the Brits unveil their Critic's Choice shortlist (Thursday) and the BBC reveal their Sound of 2015 longlist (Monday), here are 11 exciting facts about the singer, which I have Googled for you.
1) Rachel Anne Morris was born in Blackpool in 1992. [Wikipedia]
2) Rae is short for Raymond, which was her grandfather's name. [Leadmill]
3) Atlantic Records signed her in 2011, when she was just 18, then gave her space to "grow as an artist", whatever that means. [Line of Best Fit]
4) You may have heard her voice on Bombay Bicycle Club's rather lovely single Luna earlier this year.
5) Her piano teacher is called Darren [GoldFlakePaint]
6) She realised she could be a proper songwriter when she saw fellow Blackpool singer Karima Francis on Jools Holland. She later got to sing with Clean Bandit on the very same programme, which she described as "the scariest thing I've ever done". [DIY mag]
7) If she had a million pounds, she would probably buy some books. [For Folk's Sake]
8) She is quite the Kate Bush fan.[Twitter]
happy birthday kate bush. what would we do without you.— Rae Morris (@raemorrismusic) July 30, 2014
9) Her debut album, Unguarded, has been recorded with Ariel Rechtschaid, of Haim and Charli XCX "fame". It's out next year. [When the Gramophone Rings]
10) The most famous person she's met is Barry Chuckle. [London In Stereo]
11) She is not trying to be cool. "I'm not trying to be cool," she says, "because, well, I'm not cool. I'm just really not cool." [Teen Vogue]
So now you can impress all of your Facebook friends with your insightful and encyclopaedic knowledge of current pop trends.
You can also tell them you've heard Rae's new single, Under The Shadows. Be sure to use words like "haunting", "dramatic" and "supple" so you can sound totally up your own arse.